Other grants
also see Links

Some Advice on Student Funding available from Statutory and University/College Sources

Loans (these are paid back over a period of years):
To cover the costs of studying, students can apply for:

  • A Tuition Fee Loan to cover the fees in full (up to £9,250 a year depending on the university)
  • A maintenance loan for living costs like rent (full-time students only):
  • Maximum loan if you live away from home and study outside of London: £8,700
  • Maximum loan if you live away from home and study in London: £11,354
  • Maximum loan if you live at home: £7,324 (Have a look here for more information)

 Grants and scholarships (these are usually one off sums of money which do not have to be paid back):

  • Most universities and colleges give out bursaries that aren’t linked to any other student finance you might get. This can be cash directly paid to you or other forms of financial help, for example discounts on accommodation or books. Talk to your student support service to find out what exactly your university or college offers and who qualifies.
  • Scholarships from universities and colleges often depend on your academic achievements, your family’s income, or subject of study. Ask your Student Support Service what scholarships your university or college offers.
  • If you are from a low-income family, disabled or have dependents, then this is an extra grant to cover outstanding costs (not met by maintenance loans, grants, scholarships etc). This is administered by your chosen university.
    Click here to find out more.
  • Also have a look at the UCAS student finance pages for clear information and useful links.
  • Institutions may offer one of more of the following:
  • A fee waiver or discount
  • A free foundation year
  • Discounted accommodation or other similar institutional service
  • A financial scholarship/bursary

Check with your university to see if they are taking part.


Registered Charity Number 220917
Telephone: 020 7794 9835 Email: info@finnart.org